Exceeding Authorized Hours/Cancellation
- The respite Program WILL NOT be responsible for payment of wages for services provided in excess of hours authorized by the Regional Center.
- You are responsible for directly paying Respite Care Providers for any hours worked beyond the authorized hours.
- You are responsible for keeping accurate records of respite service hours. FCS can provide you with a form to help you with record keeping. You can also call the office to check the balance of your authorized hours.
- In instances when you arrange for respite directly with a Respite Care Provider both you and the Respite Care Provider will not be paid for hours worked without prior approval from the office.
- You must call in cancellations for a scheduled respite at 24 hours before the actual visit.
- Please keep in mind that if a respite is cancelled before the service is scheduled, (but, enough notice is given so as to avoid the Respite Care Provider arriving for the respite,) the scheduled Respite Care Provider WILL NOT be paid for any hours, nor will any hours be deducted from your authorized hours.
- If you have specifically requested a preferred Respite Care Provider and habitually cancel Respites, especially long respites, you can be terminated from the program. These Respite hours once scheduled, prevent the Respite Care Provider from being assigned any other Respite Care jobs, thus if cancelled, she will not be paid for any hours, resulting in financial hardship on our providers and lack of potential Respites for other families in the program.
- If the Respite Care Provider arrives for a cancelled respite due to insufficient notice of the cancellation, that Respite Care Provider shall be paid for half the scheduled respite, “but in no event for less than 2 hours NO MORE THAN 4 HOURS”, at their regular rate of pay, in compliance with California Labor Law. The hours for which the Respite Care Provider is paid will be deducted from your authorized hours.
- Any oral or written agreements between the Respite Care Provider and yourself are a private agreement. (For example, you agree to pay the Respite Care Provider for extra hours over and Respite Program and above the Regional Center allocation). In these matters, the agreement is independent of the Respite Program and is not the responsibility of FCS staff.